The Local Council of Leaders (LCOL) Chair provides overall leadership, vision, and guidance to LCOL and membership. Chair coordinates the efforts of the committee chairs to ensure that members receive services and assistance needed to provide a quality camping experience to their clientele.
Knowledge and Experience
- Ability to lead a team and facilitate work in individuals and groups.
- Ability to connect and engage local volunteers
- Experience leading work groups/committees to meet expected outcomes/goals
- Knowledge of the regional “picture” of camp and basic understanding of camp culture(s) within the designated region.
- Work cooperatively with the ACA staff and volunteers to develop and implement core and secondary services.
- Organize and facilitate LCOL meetings and annual planning process(es).
- Stay informed of emerging issues and trends that affect the camp profession and industry.
- Create ad hoc committees, subgroups and task forces as needed.
- Give guidance, stimulation, and support to all LCOL members and committees
- Serve as chief volunteer leader: articulating the vision, values, mission and goals of the American Camp Association and Local Office.
- Work with ACA Staff to analyze Return on Investment/Return on Influence during budget cycle
- Keep current on information pertaining to: LCOL committees’ initiative efforts, ACA, Inc. growth strategy initiatives, NCOL issues and concerns, standards and complaint resolution issues.
- Follow all applicable ACA policies and procedures
- Provide updates at Local Council of Leaders meetings
- Participate in one virtual Regional Chairs meeting.
- Coordinate and attend LCOL meetings (in person or virtual) each year.
- Attend one virtual and in-person National Council of Leaders meeting.
The professional development chair commits to:
- Serve at least a 3 year term.
- Requires a time commitment of 8 hours per month, on average.
- Coordinate and attend LCOL in-person and Virtual Local Council of Leaders meetings. And committee meetings if applicable.
- Participate in quarterly virtual Regional Chairs meeting.
- Communicating with ACA Staff and other volunteers in a timely and professional manner.